Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Lectionary Nov 22 - The Reign of Christ

Where Do We Put God...?

Reign of Christ -
November 22, 2009
2 Samuel 23:1-7
or
Daniel 7:9-10, 13-14 Psalm 132:1-12, (13-18)
or
Psalm 93 Revelation 1:4b-8 John 18:33-37


Dear fellow Journey classmates:

In thinking about the lectionary lesson for this Sunday the 22nd. I was impressed by the restlessness of David to find a “place for the Lord, a dwelling place for the Mighty One of Jacob.’

Of course, David was most likely referring to the temple and it’s use as the abode of the ark, considered God’s presence on earth. But what does it mean to “find a place for the Lord today, with us? How does that work out? Do we simply see him as occupying time and space? Is that limitation to his being? Or is that the very way he is revealed?

Psalm 132:1-12, (13-18)
132:1 O LORD, remember in David's favor all the hardships he endured;

132:2 how he swore to the LORD and vowed to the Mighty One of Jacob,

132:3 "I will not enter my house or get into my bed;

132:4 I will not give sleep to my eyes or slumber to my eyelids,

132:5 until I find a place for the LORD, a dwelling place for the Mighty One of Jacob."

132:6 We heard of it in Ephrathah; we found it in the fields of Jaar.

132:7 "Let us go to his dwelling place; let us worship at his footstool."

132:8 Rise up, O LORD, and go to your resting place, you and the ark of your might.

132:9 Let your priests be clothed with righteousness, and let your faithful shout for joy.

132:10 For your servant David's sake do not turn away the face of your anointed one.

132:11 The LORD swore to David a sure oath from which he will not turn back: "One of the sons of your body I will set on your throne.

132:12 If your sons keep my covenant and my decrees that I shall teach them, their sons also, forevermore, shall sit on your throne."

132:13 For the LORD has chosen Zion; he has desired it for his habitation:

132:14 "This is my resting place forever; here I will reside, for I have desired it.

132:15 I will abundantly bless its provisions; I will satisfy its poor with bread.

132:16 Its priests I will clothe with salvation, and its faithful will shout for joy.

132:17 There I will cause a horn to sprout up for David; I have prepared a lamp for my anointed one.

132:18 His enemies I will clothe with disgrace, but on him, his crown will gleam."


In John 18 we have the classic rhetorical exchange when virtually anyone who confronts Christ with a question is answered with a question? How does this exchange go to the heart of everyone’s relationship with Christ?

John 18:33-37
18:33 Then Pilate entered the headquarters again, summoned Jesus, and asked him, "Are you the King of the Jews?"

18:34 Jesus answered, "Do you ask this on your own, or did others tell you about me?"

18:35 Pilate replied, "I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests have handed you over to me. What have you done?"

18:36 Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my followers would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not from here."

18:37 Pilate asked him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice."


The heart of Christian Identity...Who do you say that I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment