Thursday, October 21, 2010

Passing the baton.

How do our lives matter to the next generation?  How do we pass on the baton so the race continues?

Today's lesson, as chosen from 2 Timothy, reflects Paul's feelings at the end of his life. It is traditionally believed that Paul was possibly martyred in Rome. Whatever the case may be, he appears to have felt he had been faithful to his call.  

The night before Martin Luther King was assassinated, King delivered his I've been to the mountain top speech. 

"Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it really doesn't matter with me now, because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. 

Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!   

And so I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man! Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!!"
  
All religious expressions start out as a cult experience. Some religious expressions make it past their cult stage, most don't. A cult can be defined as a religious expression that finds its full beginning and ending in the time of one lifespan. Every generation has its cults. Think David Koresh and the Branch Davidians,  Jim Jones and Guyana as examples of this type of phenomena. It ended when the life of the leader ended. Their cult expressions died away within one generation.

How do we avoid being a cult and pass on the baton to the next generation?

In the passages from 2 Timothy 4:6-8 and 16-18, we see Pail speaking of the end of his life and how he places it in the context of the larger whole. 

From the passages how did Paul contribute to the next generation? How did Martin Luther King? But most importantly how do we contribute to the continued presence of God in the lives of those to come?

2 Timothy 4:6-8, 16-18
4:6 As for me, I am already being poured out as a libation, and the time of my departure has come.

4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

4:8 From now on there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

4:16 At my first defense no one came to my support, but all deserted me. May it not be counted against them!

4:17 But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion's mouth.

4:18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and save me for his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

Walter Morton for Journey Across the Line 

1 comment:

  1. Outside of telling future generations about God and his love for everyone, another “baton” I would pass, is what I call the “Cemetery Test“. It goes like this: Go to a cemetery. Take a good look around, consider everything you see. Look at the headstones and monuments. You’ll see a few hoity toity fancy schmancy head stones-- Marbled testaments suggesting wealth, education, popularity and success. Most likely the majority of the headstones are simple, declaring an “average every-day Joe” rests there. Finally, plaques with perhaps nothing more than the word “Unknown” crying out for a forgotten someone once living, pressed into the earth and hidden by the shadows of polished granite mausoleums.
    No matter how ornate or plain each marker is, those beneath are all the same, they’ve passed on and only three things count: Your relationship with God. Those you’ve loved and been loved by. And, Forgiveness, both given and received. Consider yourself, your own stone and what matters at the edge of your grave. What in your life passes the cemetery test.
    When things are tough, when you feel alone, when you think you can’t make it, when things seem so unkind you feel like you will shatter inside--visit a cemetery, see what will pass the test. If what you are stressed about passes the cemetery test, prioritize and deal with it, face up to it and find a solution. If it doesn’t, let it go and focus on what you can change and affect.
    Then I would probably tell them to RELAX-- your head will NOT explode because your Ipod and internet connection isn’t working, get a job and keep it and PAY your bills, save some money, stop spending so much time playing video games and complaining about how difficult your life is, don’t get upset over the little things, not everything is always a level 10. And don’t worry so much, it’s probably just gas…this too shall soon pass! <")))><

    ReplyDelete