Thursday, July 21, 2011

THE ROAD TO WISDOM


 Like art, wisdom is hard to pin down, but people generally recognize it when they encounter it. Psychologists pretty much agree it involves an integration of knowledge, experience, and deep understanding that incorporates tolerance for the uncertainties of life as well as its ups and downs. There's an awareness of how things play out over time, and it confers a sense of balance.
Wise people generally share an optimism that life's problems can be solved and experience a certain amount of calm in facing difficult decisions. Intelligence—if only anyone could figure out exactly what it is—may be necessary for wisdom, but it definitely isn't sufficient; an ability to see the big picture, a sense of proportion, and considerable introspection also contribute to its development. (Psychology Today: http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/wisdom).

Praying for Wisdom:
I don't necessarily know why, but as a child I chose to pray for wisdom more than any other request from God. Of course when I became a teen, I was praying about every thing, just trying to figure out my way. The problem in asking for the intangibles of character is you can't see them until they are applied in context. So just as when we ask for patience, God uses our experiences to flesh out its presence in our lives, so too, wisdom appears as one of those character traits that become evident only when the situation calls for its expression.

Distance Learning:
I have received wisdom by observing others in situations and crises. This was particularly true being much younger than my brother and sister. I was able to see how they handled problems. And then I could reflect on whether in like circumstance I might approach such in the same manner or different. Vicarious learning is great and convenient, someone else stumbles and you get to participate in distance learning

The Wisdom of Experience:
But the greatest way to build wisdom for me has been through the personally lived experiences that God has provided for me in my daily experience. God has given me plenty of opportunities where I might gain wisdom from my mistakes. More than I believe I really needed perhaps. Probably one of the most fundamental characteristics of wisdom for me has been the "agnostic" approach. I am not using this term in the sense of not knowing whether there is a God or not. But agnostic in its generic sense which means "I am not informed regarding something or someone." So the process of learning about life is not so much a gathering of facts and making "wise" decisions, but the ability to sometimes say, "I don't know." That's my first step on the road to Wisdom.

What was Solomon's first step?
What is yours?   


 1 Kings 3:5-12
3:5 At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, "Ask what I should give you."

3:6 And Solomon said, "You have shown great and steadfast love to your servant my father David, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart toward you; and you have kept for him this great and steadfast love, and have given him a son to sit on his throne today.

3:7 And now, O LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David, although I am only a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in.

3:8 And your servant is in the midst of the people whom you have chosen, a great people, so numerous they cannot be numbered or counted.

3:9 Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, able to discern between good and evil; for who can govern this your great people?"

3:10 It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this.

3:11 God said to him, "Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches, or for the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right,

3:12 I now do according to your word. Indeed I give you a wise and discerning mind; no one like you has been before you and no one like you shall arise after you.

Walter MOrton for Journey Across the Line.

No comments:

Post a Comment